Our leg muscles are some of the largest muscles in our bodies and thus provide us with a greater caloric burn by working them out. Whether you are trying to get lean or build bigger muscles, exercising your legs is still important to a complete program.
Below is a list of some killer leg exercises via local Orange County Personal Trainer group Elite Trainer. The best thing about these is that they can all be done at home with minimal equipment. Add some of these leg exercises to your workout program for those toned and sexy glutes and legs you’ve always wanted.
Note to Beginners:
For beginners to resistance training for your legs, you may want to start off with:
- Stability ball squats
- Or check out Beginner workouts prior to attempting the more advanced exercises below
The 10 killer leg exercises
- Reverse Crossover lunge – A little twist on a reverse lunge adding a lateral crossover passing over the midline. In the upward phase of this exercise, make sure you are pushing off the front foot without the aid of the back foot.
- Bulgarian Split Squat – Push off your front foot in the upward phase and breathe out as you come up. Single-leg exercises provide a greater challenge. This exercise also places a bit of a stretch on the back leg while challenging balance and stabilization.
- Three-Way Lunge – Feel the burn with this exercise. Performing a front lunge to a side lunge to a reverse lunge without rest on a single leg.
- Romanian Deadlift – One of the best hamstring exercises you can do. For added range of motion perform this exercise on a step box or bench.
- Jumping Lunges – A challenging exercise combining alternating lunges with plyometrics. Remember to land soft and focus on good form rather than performing the exercise as quick as possible.
- Stability Ball Leg Curl – Another great hamstring workout that also challenges the core.
- Lying Hip Raise on Bench – To make this workout more challenging, place weight plates, or whatever weight you have, over your hips to add additional resistance to the upward phase. Push through the heel(s) and breathe out during the upward phase.
- Kettlebell Swing – Not only is this a great leg workout, its also great total body workout.
- Reverse Lunge to Step-Up– Step-ups are a great functional exercise for anyone. Kick them up a bit with this exercise combining traditional step-ups with a reverse lunge.
- Pistol Squats– This exercise is definitely for the more advanced. There are progressions to this exercise as demonstrated in the video. You don’t even need weight to feel the benefits of this exercise.
These exercises may be done with bodyweight, dumbbells, or a barbell. For added intensity hold the dumbbells or barbell overhead during most of these exercises.
For more information or to contact Elite Trainer, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.