Chicago families can spend the time leading up to Thanksgiving Day on Thursday, November 25, 2010 playing with Thanksgiving toys, enjoying Thanksgiving treats, and trying out some Thanksgiving activities. Following, find links to information about and suggestions for how to make the month of November fun and festive.
Thanksgiving toys for 2010
From turkey finger puppets and soft play food holiday dinners to candy corn crayons and candy wishbones, we have collected together many fun and unique toys in our guides to the best 2010 Thanksgiving toys.
- Best Thanksgiving toys for 2010 – Including seasonal exclusive playthings from LEGO and Fisher-Price, as well as family games and some playthings that would make great holiday gifts for boys and girls.
- Best Thanksgiving play food toys for 2010 – Suggestions for soft felt, plush, and wood play food items that kids can use to stage a play pretend feast.
- Best handmade Thanksgiving toys on etsy – Homemade unique toys made with care by talented craftspeople, covering everything from kits for transforming pumpkins into turkeys to cute finger puppet sets to personalized dish sets decorated with handprint turkeys.
- Playful Thanksgiving clothing and accessories on etsy – Everything babies, boys, and girls need to dress in style and fun during November and on Thanksgiving Day, including handprint turkey shirts, gorgeous Thanksgiving tutus, cute hair accessories, and hats shaped like roast turkeys.
Thanksgiving activities for 2010
Between the piles of autumn leaves outside that can be gathered and pressed and the need to bake treats for family gatherings, November offers many ways that parents and children can spend fun time together in the kitchen and the playroom. Following find some links suggesting fun crafts and baking projects that families can try together.
Activities for the kitchen:
- How to bake and decorate fall leaf cut cookies
- How to bake cut cookies shaped like handprint turkeys
- How to decorate cupcakes that look like Thanksgiving turkeys
- How to make a Pilgrim hat cupcake dessert
Activities for the playroom art center:
- How to take fall nature walks with children
- Ideas for art projects that use fall materials
- Wax paper and contact paper leaf craft ideas
- Making a fall pressed leaf collection
- Lesson plan for fall leaf art projects
Free Thanksgiving fun
For some free Thanksgiving fun, parents can try some online resources with suggestions or instructions for free craft activities.
- Download and assemble free Thanksgiving paper toys, including lovely free paper Thanksgiving toys from The Toymaker.
- Find instructions for free fall and Thanksgiving crafts from Lakeshore Learning Stores, including Pilgrim hats, Cornucopia art, Turkey Place Card Holders, and Thanksgiving table art.
Family game night on Thanksgiving Day
Thanksgiving Day is an excellent time for different generations of a family to gather around the table to play some board games, card games, or other family games together.
Some options for games that encourage cooperative play or that are fun to play with a group of family members might include:
- Play-Doh Toy Time Race game
- Richard Scarry’s Busytown Eye found it! game
- HABA Mummy’s Treasure game
- HABA Castle Knights game
- Playroom Entertainment Ligretto card game
Families can also play classic favorites, like the two toys recently inducted in the National Toy Hall of Fame for 2010 – the Game of LIFE and playing cards. Or read more Chicago Children’s Toys Examiner game reviews for other ideas.
Happy Thanksgiving 2010!
Ready to shop for the December holidays? Check out fun Chanukah gifts for kids for 2010 and our 2010 Guide to Christmas in Chicago.
Click Subscribe above to receive free email notification when new stories publish, join the Chicago Children’s Toys Examiner Facebook page, or follow me on Twitter.