Earlier today at Ricky’s Sports Theatre & Grill in San Leandro, Calif., Andre Ward and promoter Dan Goossen took part in a press conference to discuss the Nov. 27 clash between Ward (22-0, 13 KOs) and Sakio Bika (28-4-2, 19 KOs) for Ward’s WBA super middleweight title.
Despite a disqualification loss in his last bout, Bika is a tough opponent, whose last two losses have come to Joe Calzaghe and Lucian Bute via decision. However, a decision isn’t something Ward is interested in.
“Everybody in boxing knows what Sakio Bika is going to do. He’s going to come full speed ahead and swing with both arms; he’s not really a skillful guy but he throws a lot of wide punches,” said Ward.
“Bika has never been stopped and that’s obviously the goal,” proclaimed Ward.
Ward faces Bika due to Andre Dirrell’s withdrawal from the Super Six World Boxing Classic in a non-tournament fight at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif. on the same night that Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham battle it out in a Super Six bout for the vacant WBC 168-pound title.
The fight with Dirrell was something Ward was looking forward to and says he was very disappointed when his former Olympic teammate withdrew from the tournament.
“There were a lot of things said by the media about us not wanting to get into the ring together and that we tried to get out of it. I want to say right here and right now, that was never the case with me,” explained Ward. “It’s unfortunate what happened with Dirrell. Mentally he had been on my mind for some several months now because it felt like we were going to fight but thank God we weren’t in training camp yet so we didn’t have to make many adjustments,” added Ward.
Promoter Dan Goossen mentioned that he had hoped to bring the fight to Oakland while Dirrell’s team wanted the fight in Detroit but despite the disagreements, felt the fight would go on as planned.
“I was pushing for Oakland; it would’ve sold out Oracle Arena and they wanted to go to Detroit. One of the problems we had with Detroit was not that it was his hometown but we felt we couldn’t generate what Andre could do out here [Oakland], explained Goossen.
Touching on the recent signing of IBF super middleweight champ Lucian Bute by Showtime, both Goossen and Ward applauded the decision.
“When that fight happens, and it will happen, Lucian Bute will be standing right here in Oakland,” boasted Goossen.
As it relates to the undercard, Goossen mentioned that John Molina Jr., Mike Ruiz, and Cornelius White would all be included.
Tickets for the fight are now on sale and are available via the Oracle Arena box office and Ticketmaster for $150, $75 and $35. The fight will air on Showtime beginning at 9 p.m. ET/PT.