The Art League of Long Island announced the winners of this year’s Member’s Exhibition Part II on Dec. 22, 2010. This annual exhibition continues through Jan. 9, 2011 at the Jeanie Tengelsen Gallery in Dix Hills.
CLICK PHOTO AT LEFT TO VIEW WINN REA JUROR AWARD WINNER ‘BUT IT WAS SO LONG AGO’ BY CAROL M. SPIELBERG.
The more than 200 works of art submitted for 2010’s Art League of Long Island Member’s Exhibition necessitated displaying the pieces in two different showcases, as was done in 2009.
“Double Take: A Member’s Exhibition in Two Parts” featured 2D and 3D work such as paintings, drawings, collage, photography, print-making, ceramics, and sculpture.
Winners of Member’s Exhibition Part II
Winn Rea Juror Award
- Carol M. Spielberg of Long Beach, “But It was So Long Ago” (oil) (click photo at upper left to view)
Award of Excellence
- Jeanne Schwartz of Hewlett, “Woman in Sadness” (fired clay)
- Annette Merlis of Bay Shore, “A Far Place” (mixed media)
- Irene Vitale of Smithtown, “Unexpected Exploration” (oil on recycled luan)
- Rhoda Needlman of Setauket, “Butterfly Blue” (pastel)
- Pat Ralph of Centerport, “Toward the Inlet” (gouache)
- Patricia Russac, of Oyster Bay, “Landscape” (mixed media)
Noted artist and educator Winn Rea is a member of the Phoenix Gallery in NYC and an Assistant Professor of Art at C.W. Post/Long Island University. She is a process-based environmental artist whose works on paper, sculptures, and installations have been exhibited extensively in South Korea and the United States.
Upcoming Art League of Long Island Activities
- Jan. 13 – NYC Museum Tours: “The Artistic Furniture of Charles Rohlfs. Attendees will enjoy a bus ride to Manhattan with bagels and coffee. Cost of trip and ticket to the Museum is $85. To register call (631) 462-5400 x222.
- Jan. 15-30 – Clay Convergence exhibit. “Inspirations from the East, Expressions of the West.” The exhibit contains recent works by Susan Kadish & Christopher Delloiacono.
- UPDATE: The January Art Brew is postponed to Feb. 15 (see below).
- Feb. 5-16 – Go APE: For the fourth year the Go APE (Advanced Placement Student Exhibition) will be held in the Jeanie Tengelsen Gallery. This exhibit showcases talents of budding young artists from Long Island’s area high schools.
- Feb. 15 – Art Brew, 7-9 p.m.: The ALLI Art Brew is a free monthly “meet and greet” to view an artist’s work. Ward Hooper will be performing an art demonstration, and there will be many participating artists, live music, and lots of camaraderie. It is open to the general public and refreshments are served.
- Apr. 2 – Artrageous 2011. Artrageous is the Art League of Long Island’s annual gala honoring Laura Powers-Swiggett and John Perkins. Attendees will have the opportunity to bid on works of art generously donated by local artists through a silent auction. Proceeds from the event will help the Art League of Long Island continue to deliver their arts education programming. Artrageous 2011 will be held at Cold Spring Country Club in Huntington on April 2, 2011.
The Art League of Long Island is a not-for-profit organization that has been in existence since 1955. In addition to exhibitions like the one opening on this weekend, the Art League offers classes, one-day workshops, tours and lectures all year round. Check out their website at http://www.artleagueli.net/ for their rich schedule of programs.
The Art League and Jeanie Tengelsen Gallery are located at 107 East Deer Park Road in Dix Hills. The Jeanie Tengelsen Gallery is open to the public, free of charge, Monday through Friday from 9 AM – 4 PM and on the weekends from 11 AM – 4 PM. For more information about the Art League or this year’s Member’s Exhibition, please call 631-462-5400.
You can be notified by email whenever new articles are published by clicking the Subscribe button at the top of this article.
Follow @RyderPat and @LI_ArtsEvents on Twitter for entertainment news and information, and “Like” the Long Island Arts & Events Facebook page for additional content!
My local Long Island columns are:
- Long Island Celebrity Headlines Examiner
- Long Island Events Examiner
- Long Island Headlines Examiner
- Long Island Historic Places Examiner
- Long Island Performing Arts Examiner
My national entertainment columns are:
- ‘American Idol’ Examiner
- Elton John Examiner
- Leon Russell Examiner