Benefit Cosmetics rings in the holidays this year with the Maggie & Annie Holiday Collection: Femme Metale “Precious Metals” Eye Makeup Kit. It’s a festive set of metallic eyeliners and cream shadows to add luxe shimmer and shine to the holidays.
The Femme Metale Collection ($38) includes full-size Creaseless Cream Shadows in three new lush shades:
- Platinum (very pigmented, shimmery white)
- Taupe-aztic (not sure why they put taupe in the name, because this is really quite gold, but there is just enough beige in it to make it very wearable)
- Plum-ing for Gold (rich, metallic, golden plum – at first I was worried there was too much red in this color and that it would highlight any redness in the eyes, but I was happily surprised to find that wasn’t the case and the color is actually quite flattering to brown eyes)
The cream shadows have an almost souffle-like texture so they feel very lightweight, go on very smoothly and blend easily. They stay on and resist creasing very well.
See the slideshow to see more photos, including looks and swatches.
The set also includes three new travel-size metallic eyeliners:
- Steel Her Date (deep, metallic gray blue)
- Gem-N-Eye (golden olive)
- Blinged (silver)
The liners glide on beautifully and stay on very well. The formulas have a lot of pigment and offer plenty of metallic shimmer for the holidays and evenings out.
How to Wear the Collection
The one thing about this collection is that it can be a little confusing to figure out how to wear it. You might be tempted to wear all the shades together. But it works better to do a look with just two or three of the shades or to use just one or two of the shadows and pencils as accents to add a festive touch to more neutral makeup you already have.
See the slideshow to see a look with all the colors so you can see how all the colors look on and a look using just the white and plum cream shadows, and the olive pencil together with black liner (BADgal Liner Waterproof).
Here are some more options for wearing the colors:
- Pair neutral eye makeup and black liner along the upper lash line with one of the metallic pencils just on the lower lash line.
- Finish your look by applying the white or gold cream shadow on the brow bone and the silver pencil at the inner corners.
- Finish your look with a dab of white or gold cream shadow on the center of the lids.
And remember to wear more subdued makeup around the rest of the face (like just a touch of blush or bronzer and nude lips) when wearing very metallic colors around the eyes to keep the focus on the metallics and not look overdone.
The Bottom Line
The Femme Metale “Precious Metals” Eye Makeup Kit offers plenty of pretty shades to add a festive touch to makeup for holiday parties and evenings out in great long-wear formulas. It’s also a very good deal at $38. That’s what you would pay if you were to buy just two of the Creaseless Cream Shadows separately.
Where to Get It
Femme Metale is a limited edition collection available exclusively from Sephora. Benefit has lots of other goodies for the holidays. See the Holiday 2010 Collection at benefitcosmetics.com. And starting on November 25, Benefit will offer daily deals throughout the holidays.
What do you think of the collection? Do you like to wear metallic shades around the holidays or throughout the year? Do tell.
Want to stay up on the latest beauty products? Subscribe to Beauty Products Examiner updates to be alerted when new articles are published. You can also get beauty news by following Sonja on Facebook and Twitter.
(This review originally appeared on Hello Beauty.)