Broccoli is a vegetable that is high in dietary fiber. Contains high levels of Vitamins C, K and A. Its nutritional makeup consists of multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties, such as small amounts of selenium as well as diindolylmethane.
Broccoli is available at the Greenwood farmers market near Winona during the warmer months. In the fall and winter seasons broccoli must be purchased at either SuperValu in town or at Spain’s and Wal-mart.
A very versatile vegetable that can be boiled, steamed, sauté or stir-fried.
- 1 head of broccoli
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 4 ounces of milk
- 2-3 ounces of grated Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the head of broccoli in cold water.
- Separate the florets from the stems.
- Cut the florets into bite size pieces.
- Use a potato peeler to scrape the stems of the broccoli.
- Cut stems into small bite size pieces after quartering them first.
- Place broccoli in water with a little salt in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Allow the broccoli to boil for 6-10 minutes until tender enough to eat.
- Turn flame off from sauce pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, allow the butter to melt completely.
- Once the butter starts to bubble, add the flour and stir together with a wooden spoon to form a paste.
- Continue stirring.
- Once the flour begins to change color, start adding the milk a little at a time until the sauce starts to thicken.
- (If the sauce is too thin add a tiny bit more flour – if it is too thick than add a little extra milk.)
- Now we are ready to add the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir till the cheese melts down and the sauce is now ready to pour over the broccoli.
- Transfer broccoli into a serving dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over the vegetable and place on dinner table to serve.
- A flavorful and different side dish for our family to try. The cheese sauce makes broccoli more appealing, especially to children.
- Cheese sauce is wonderful over cauliflower too.
For e-mail alerts of new articles from the Winona Cooking Examiner, click on the subscribe button above. Included are her step-by-step, easy to follow recipes the whole family will enjoy. And be sure to check out Winona Home & Living Examiner for an array of fun, crafty and educational topics. Send an email to email@example.com if you have a topic or suggestion you would like covered. Happy reading and thank you for stopping by!
Copyright 2010 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved