Well teachers and parents, its holiday time for preschoolers and kids of all ages. They will have two or more exciting weeks off from their learning centers or school environments, so what do you do with your kiddos as we approach the holidays.
For starters, shake yourself up and get yourself in the mood with the kids. From time to time adults tend to feel many different moods as this time of year approaches. Take time to think about happy memories you recall during that holidays that you can share with your children for at home and school. Ensure that you as an adult realize that its not all about you, this is a time for family, friends fun and celebration. As you are celebrating the spirit of the holiday in your own way remember you will encounter various emotions at different moments. For kids they are excited by all of the excitment of holiday parties & presents at school, they see the Christmas tree and reindeers and they to realize this is a joyous occasion and time of the year. While children realize this excitment, you to will be ensuring that this moment is not just about presents but about spending quality time, exposing your children to the meaning of Christmas and these happy moments you share with them.
- Take time to take trips away from your inner comfort zone, you may not be finaically ready to take long trips by bus, air or train but you can expose children to visiting fun places in their own city.
- Take them on a night drive to see the hoiday lights in different neighborhoods and to identiy the fun colors they see. Take them on a fun ride across town to visit relatives or to areas of the city your rarely commute to just so they can learn the subdivision or areas of their city and see different parks, schools and other sides of town.
- Take them on a walk in the shopping centers and take them to the arcade or to see the holiday displays in the mall. Remember parents & teachers, each shopping mall has various types of holiday displays and art displays to view each month.
- Have a fun hot chocolate or cookie date with your kids, allow them to help you make holiday cookies by shaping and decorating the cookies with sprinkles or even allowing them spray the whip cream in the hot chocolate. It’s not only fun but they are now becomming great bakers.
- Take fun pictures with kids, have a blue day or color day with everyone in the house wears that color, snap a picture and them look through magazines and books for that color of the day , you are wearing. ( Make a color book, each photo has a picture of a family member with that color on in the photo)
- Create an I SPY holiday fun day, allow the kids to not only put up the tree and decorations with your asssitance but then make a list of items you want them to search for and and have kids play the game,( example I spy a green ornament, blue book, red pencil, have children look for items, turn in all the items, parents count the items for points and give them a prize for playing the I SPY game.
- or you can play the ( list your last name here)Family Treasue Hunt, where all family members play the game, and on the back or each item as they are hunting is a ticket, the kids & relatives turn all the tickets in to the treasure hunt detective,again parents purchase inexpensive little prizes, once you count the tickets they select a prize for finding the items with tickets and this is fun family game for all ages.
Remember its not whats under the tree or the amount of gifts received, its the fun times, sharing stories, laughing, visting family and making new memories with them for today.
Happy Holidays and may this New Year bring you peace, joy and happiness to last a lifetime!