Most men procrastinate about holiday shopping, especially when it comes to the women in their lives; and, if you are like most women you’ve received gifts of clothing that have ranged from size 0 to size 20 because the man doing the buying used the classic line “she’s about your size” when a sales clerk approach them for assistance! Men this shopping guide is for you, and, it will help you get through the maze of holiday shopping.
- Don’t just go out and buy “something” just so you look like you tried. Really think about the women in your life – What do they like to do? What are their lifestyles?
- If you don’t know her size and don’t want to ask. Go into her closet! Size labels are almost always on the inside of the garment in the neck area. And, be sure to check at least 4 to 5 garments for size (this is because there is no sizing standards in the fashion industry and what might be a size 8 from one designer, maybe a size 10 in another.) If the majority of her clothing is a size 12, then you can go out shopping with the knowledge a size 12 will fit. If in doubt, ask for help from a sales clerk. He or she will be able to tell you if the garment runs true to size or if it runs large or small. They key is knowing her normal size and from there you will greatly increase your chances of getting it right.
- Don’t assume perfume or chocolates are ok gifts. It isn’t that these gifts aren’t welcome, but, be 100% certain you know the person you are buying for isn’t allergic. Nothing will trigger the “you don’t know me at all” response quicker if you buy a gift for someone who is allergic to it!
- Try to buy her something she wouldn’t normally buy for herself. It’s a simple concept that seems to get lost on a lot of people.
Gift cards can be tricky. Some women love them, others hate them saying they are too impersonal, however, there are ways around the gift card dilemma. Here are some suggestions:
- Does she enjoy going to the beauty salon? Does she love being pampered? A gift card for a day of beauty might be deeply appreciated. One excellent choice is Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spas: http://www.reddoorspas.com/ and you can purchase the gift card online or at its Manhattan location at 691 Fifth Avenue at 54th Street (phone: (212) 546-0200 ) and by adding some Elizabeth Arden products such as a gift set you’ll appear to have really put some thought behind your gift.
- Does she enjoy clothing? Does she live to receive the newest edition of Vogue or Elle magazines? Give her a gift card for an upscale store such as Saks Fifth Avenue. Gift cards can be purchased online or buy it in person at the Manhattan flagship store located at 611 Fifth Avenue (phone: (212) 753-4000). Help personalize the gift card by purchasing something that doesn’t require a size (for example a handbag or wallet) and place the gift card in it!
- Is travel her thing? Look towards shops such as Travelsmith.com for a gift card and then make arrangements to take her somewhere (even if it’s overnight right in NYC).
- Is she a theater buff? Gift cards are available through Broadway.com: http://www.broadway.com/gift-certificates/ or Telecharge.com: https://www.telecharge.com/GiftCards.aspx You can enchance the gift card by purchasing something such as an autographed Playbill from one of her favorite actors or actresses.
Hopefully these ideas and suggestions now have your creative juices flowing. Just remember the basic rules, and, with just a bit of thought and effort, you’ll come up with the perfect holiday gift for the woman or women in your life!