Thrift shops are the very best places to buy vintage items. There are several other really good reasons to buy valuable gifts at a thrift shop, items that are truly worth much more than the price you will pay for them.
- Adding items to a collection. A secretary at a Mankato church used to collect pig ceramics. If someone on your gift list collects salt and pepper shakers, old signs, retro art, or anything collectible, the thrift store is the place to get a great value.
- Buying something handmade. Handmade needlecrafts and other items don’t have to be vintage to be gift worthy. It may surprise you to know that there really are hand crafted items available at thrift stores.
- Used books. The actual content inside of books is just as valuable to a book lover in used books. Besides, you may find used books in very good physical condition.
- Costumes for children. Winter is long and hard here in Minnesota. Why not give some children some costumes for indoor make-believe play? Costumes are not only for Halloween.
- Hilarious items are valued by certain people. Personal favorite: the battery-operated singing pickle. Close second for personal favorite: the rubber chicken, useful in oh so many ways.
- New items with the tags on can be found in thrift stores. If you find something new that suits someone, they may not even know that it was bought at a second-hand store.
Thanks again to Erin Huffstetler, About.com Guide, for some of these ideas.