Black Friday is considered to be the busiest shopping day of the year. If you are amongst those who braves the elements and the crowds to head out early every Friday after Thanksgiving to shop for your loved ones, make sure you get in on the best deals of the day by following some very basic tips.
- Do your homework. Know what you want to buy before you head out — and do it now! Check out your big ticket items especially at Consumer Reports. It’s not a good deal if it’s a piece of junk!
- Compare prices. Some stores are simply going to have better deals than others. Check the prices online, write them down, look at the ads side by side … do whatever you have to do, but make sure you are getting the best possible deal you can get.
- Go early. Not only are some stores (like Target, who is having a huge sale starting November 21!) starting their Black Friday sales early, many stores open their doors at dawn and offer no rain checks. If you’re looking for a big ticket item (or that one must-have toy of the season), get out there early!
- Bring lists and ads. Even the shoppers with the best memories forget things. Have your shopping lists on hand (so you don’t forget anything) and your dog-eared, circled ads in hand when you head out to shop. It will help you recall everything you intend to purchase, and you’ll remember what deals you need to take advantage of.
- Consider charging it. While you don’t want to run up a huge credit card debt, credit cards offer you certain protections that debit cards and cash do not (buyer protection, for example.
- Know your store’s policies on returns and restocking fees. If you’ve adhered to Rule Number One, this shouldn’t be a problem, but when it comes to big ticket items, some stores will charge a restocking fee up to 20% of the cost of the item. Know what you want to buy before you buy it; otherwise, you could be spending a lot out of pocket for nothing.
St. Louis Black Friday sales begin at the following times:
- Walmart: 5 am
- Kmart: 5 am to 11 pm
- Target: 5 am to midnight
- Old Navy: 3 am
- Toys R Us: 10 pm Thanksgiving until 11 pm
- Sears: 4 am to 10 pm
- Dillards: 8 am to 9 pm
- JCPenney: 4 am to 10 pm
- Macy’s: 5 am to 11 pm
- Cabelas: 6 am to 10 pm
- Bass Pro Shops: 6 am to 10 pm
- Best Buy: 5 am to 10 pm
If you enjoyed this article, please subscribe (it’s completely anonymous) by using the subscribe button at the top of the screen. You will receive an email every time a new article is published.