My mom is reading Riding the Bus with My Sister by Rachel Simon. An avid reader and one who is always looking for a “good recipe,” she found this scrumptious dessert in the book. It is a moist, surely due to the unlikely addition of mayonnaise, and delicious. This is a prime example of never knowing where you will find your next great recipe. By the way, Jack is the bus driver in the story and shared this recipe with his riders and readers.
Jack’s chocolate mayonnaise cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup mayonnaise; using mayonnaise replaces the oil and eggs found in a traditional cake recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350* and lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add mayonnaise, water and vanilla. Mix well and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese*
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 container (8 ounces) whipped topping, such as Cool Whip
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder until smooth
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and refrigerate until serving.
If preferred or for a lighter snack cake, this cake is also great when just dusted with confectioner’s sugar rather than frosted.
*All Boston area Stop & Shop markets are offering (12/24-12/30/2010) 8 ounce blocks of Stop & Shop brand cream cheese for $.99 each.