The Pomegranate, Karen Langston picked the best fruit to write about this week , in my opinion. I have loved this fruit since I was a child and still do as an adult. The pomegranates’ looks are deceiving, not being so pretty on the outside, but very delicious on the inside. Pomegranate juice is wonderful and great tasting too.
According to Karen Langston, Chief Body Reorganizer, “The pomegranate is the oldest fruit known on the planet. The pomegranate is known as the fruit of the underworld, fruit of paradise and the fruit of fertility. The Romans referred to the red fruit as the Punic apple.”
The pomegranate has been savored for its medicinal purposes as well as decorative abilities. The skin was used to dye leather and fabrics, the seeds to color fine fabrics. The Ancient Egyptian physicians had over 700 remedies for treating disease, the main ingredient being pomegranate. Physicians in Greece prescribed pomegranate juice as a treatment for arthritis, circulation disorders, viruses, and digestive problems, according to Langston.
The pomegranate is low in calories and high in nutrients. The fruit is rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, phytochemicals, anthocyanins, and punicalagins. There are approximately seven hundred to eight hundred tightly packed deep ruby red arils within the pomegranate. The pomegranate arils are high in fiber, rich source of antioxidants, potassium, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, vitamin C, Calcium and phosphorus, states Langston.
Here are Langston’s five lifesaving reasons to eat the pomegranate.
1. Pomegranates are high in potassium, which aid in lowering blood pressure. Studies show that pomegranate juice can reduce systolic blood pressure. Drinking 1.7 ounces of pomegranate juice can possibly lower blood pressure by as much as 5 percent.
2. The pomegranate is rich in polyphenols. Polyphenols are a natural anti inflammatory and can reduce inflammatory process associated with heart disease, improve circulation to the heart and reduce artial wall thickness. This can also lower LDL and raise HDL which help aid fight against heart disease.
3. Polyphenols in pomegranate juice can not only inhibit the growth of cancer cells but actually kill cancer cells by drinking 8 ounces of pomegranate juice a day.
4. Pomegranate have tested the ability of the antimicrobes ability to kill seven different bacteria.
5. Pomegranate extract can aid in the prevention of bone loss.
There you have it, five reason to eat or drink the “Superfood” pomegranate. However, Langston states there are more. The pomegranate aid in prevention of breast cancer, lung cancer, anemia, anti aging, bleeding piles, morning sickness, sore throat, and Alzheimer. So eat up or drink up, this is a yummy fruit with a lot of healthy benefits.
To learn more about the pomegranate contact Karen Langston, Chief Body Reorganizer at 623-252-HEAL (4325) or Karen@IamWorthit2.com. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter.