A few days ago I got to experience a night on an Island; The Island Cafe that is. The island cafe is a bar/restaurant located at 829 Upshur Street NW in our nation’s capital. The first thing you notice about the island is that the exterior isn’t too promising the neighborhood isn’t the safest and the parking is limited. On Friday’s and Saturday nights you are subject to a simple frisk, ID check and an entry fee of $10 which didn’t seem to be a hassle at all. The prices at the bar are pretty fair, the lighting is set perfectly, and the staff is generally nice people. On the flipside though the T.V. screens are small, the chairs are uncomfortable and the establishment is pretty small. There are a couple unique things about the Island. One is that you can get completely hammered and stumble your way to a waitress that will be happy to serve you very tasty West Indian or American Food. The other is that the Island Occasionally host rap battles presented by Grind Time Now. The rap battles are usually the nights when the Island gets crowded and lots of people are standing “nut to butt close” to each other. If the opportunity arises go to the Island Cafe to eat or catch one of these rap battles but other than that don’t waste your weekend being a “Cast away”..
- Long Island Firearms partners with local businesses to ‘Keep Long Island Warm’
- $2.4 million awarded for community-based projects in Long Island
- $2.4 Million+ Awarded for Community-Based Projects to Improve Long Island Sound
- A Fall hike around Deas Island Regional Park
- A taste of the tropics – gifts for the foodies and island lovers on your list