Christmas colors pop out everywhere right now. In the decorations, in the Christmas lights outside, and in the clothes we wear. Why not in the food. For many years there has been a traditional baking list, things the Kellys make every year no matter what. Here is a recipe that shouts Christmas. With the vivid, bright color of a red velvet cake mixed with the swirls of cherry pie filling and sprinkles on top of cream cheese icing, nothing is more enticing for Christmas Eve. A great way to kick off the Christmas weekend. And it is a quick, easy recipe that can be made and enjoyed by all. Pass around the goodies you make this season.
1 box of red velvet cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can cherry pie filling
1 can cream cheese icing
Or if you want to make your own cream cheese frosting:
2 (8 oz.) packages low fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla. Then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
Red velvet cherry cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake holders in the cupcake pans.
2. Mix the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs on a low speed for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the cherries.
4. Place the cake mix in the cupcake holders, filling them 2/3 of the way.
5. Bake for about 22 minutes.
6. Ice the cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.
Time: about 30-45 minutes
Servings: about 32 cupcakes