Moi received the following comments:
1. In response to the article: Info 101: Step-parents and Child Abuse
* Nona Nixon 1 day ago
I am the biological mother of my son and am currently dealing with a criminal court and family court case referencing abuse of my child by the stepmother. CPS was called on the stepmother numerous times and finally one report came back founded. I only called CPS once on the stepmother when my child arrived for vistation with me with belt-welts present on his body. She was reported by my son’s Uncle, a crisis service and many others. I was finally able to get a
protection order to protect him from his stepmother which since then, she has broke the restraining order and I’m currently dealing with her in court. WIth my case, the stepmother has a horrible hatred toward myself and I feel she
took it out on my son. My sons father has since divorced her and there have been numerous restraining orders protecting my son from this woman. Stepparents DO abuse children. Some are wonderful but some do abuse children for whatever reasons.
I have found with my situation that my sons father obviously utilized bad judgement in picking this particular woman to be around our son. The biological parents have a responsibility to ensure who they date or marry will not harm
their children. Protection of children begin with the biological parents but unfortunately, this falls by the wayside with most parents and it’s despicable and a TRUE tradgedy for children involved.
Dear Nona, I am so sorry that this happened to your son and you.
2. The article: This Teacher’s Conduct Was Both Sick and Stupid
Rob Kackley 2 hours ago Report Abuse
Hi Wilda. Great article. I recently wrote one on Intergrity and Teaching on
Examiner. You can find me under Family and Parenting, Akron Working Dads
examiner. It runs along the same lines. Our local newspaper had done an article
highlighting recent “misbehaving teachers”
Thanks for a great read!
Thanks Rob for the encouragement!
What both readers are discussing is just plain and simple child abuse and that should never be tolerated whether the setting is home, school, church or any other venue. Child abuse is just plain wrong and immoral. Child Help has the read it and weep statistics:
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- Almost five children die everyday as a result of child abuse. More than three out of four are under the age of 4.
- It is estimated that between 60-85% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way; 68% are abused by family members.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- 31% percent of women in prison in the United States were abused as children.
- Over 60% of people in drug rehabilitation centers report being abused or neglected as a child.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- About 80% of 21 year old that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 is $104 billion.
- Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy.
- Abused teens are 3 times less likely to practice safe sex, putting them at greater risk for STDs.
Child Abuse and Criminal Behavior
- Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy
- Abused teens are 3 times less likely to practice safe sex, putting them at greater risk for STDs
Child Abuse Consequences
- Children who have been sexually abused are 2.5 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- Children who have been sexually abused are 3.8 times more likely develop drug addictions
- Nearly two-thirds of the people in treatment for drug abuse reported being abused as children
National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD
Are you being abused? Click here | Do you know or suspect a child is being abused? Click here
Dr. Wilda may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
To receive updates from the Seattle Public Education Examiner, just click “subscribe” at the top of the story and enter your email address, which will not be shared.
Dr. Wilda says this about that ©