The 2010 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree arrives today. The 74 foot tree hails from the town of Mahopac (in Putnam County) which is located approximately 50 miles from Manhattan. This year’s tree, a 75 year old Norway spruce, is going to be especially meaningful since it comes from the yard of 9/11 first responder and firefighter Peter Acton.
After being hoisted into place today, the tree will be surrounded by scaffolding, and, adorned with over 5 miles of lights, and, it will be topped with the Swarovski Crystal Star in preparatioin for the annual lighting of the Christmas tree. (The star weighs approximately 550 pounds and is comprised of 25,000 crystals.)
The annual Christmas at Rockefeller Center tree lighting celebration will take place on November 30, 2010. Special guests for the 2010 tree lighting include: The Radio City Rockettes, Susan Boyle, Charice and many more celebrities. The program will be hosted by Al Roker and Natalie Morales.
For more information about the 2010 Christmas at Rockefeller Center celebration visit: http://foamcage.com/luxury-travel-in-new-york/susan-boyle-announced-for-2010-rockefeller-center-tree-lighting-ceremony
Directions by Subway:
- Take the B,D,F,V to Rockefeller Center/47-50th Street station
- Take the N,R,W to 49th Street and Seventh Avenue
- Take the E to Fifth Avenue and 53rd Street
Directions by Bus:
- From 5th Avenue: take the M1, M2, M3, M4 or M5 to 50th street. Buses run north and south
- From Broadway: take the M6 or M7 and exit at 50th street. Walk east to Rockefeller Center. Buses run north and south
- From 49th Street: take the M27 or M50 and exit anywhere between Fifth and Seventh Avenues. Buses run east and west.
Mass Transit from NJ
NJ Transit trains and buses (http://www.njtranist.com)
From Penn Station
- Take the 1 or 9 subway line to 50th Street and Broadway and walk east to Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center
From Grand Central Station
- Take the 6 to 51st Street and Lexington Avenue. Walk west to Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center From Times Square
- Walk north on 7th Avenue towards 50th Street. Turn right onto 50th and proceed to Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center.