As a self confessed Starbucks coffee addict I was skeptical of the VIA flavored coffees when they first appeared on the coffee scene. I stayed away from them, even sneered in their direction when I spotted them in-stores! Yes I tend to go a little overboard when it comes to caffeine however I also like to say “never say never” especially when you haven’t given something a try at least once! So after a friend made me a little gift basket which included the Starbucks VIA “Ready Brew” coffee I converted… and that means a lot from a coffee snob!
In early 2009 Starbucks introduced VIA “Ready Brew” and it was just as good as the best instant coffees I had tried, plus it was more convenient as the coffee came in small single serve sachets – excellent when traveling.
In late 2009 came the VIA flavors Italian Roast and Colombia, both full of flavor and deliciously strong.
During the summer, just passed, Starbucks cooled us down with the “iced” version – yummy with cold milk or ice cream!
This season Starbucks gave customers four new flavors: Caramel, Mocha, Vanilla and Cinnamon Spice.
I tested all four flavors out and was surprised at the fact I could easily drink the VIA Caramel Coffee without milk! I am a coffee drinker that likes her milk but never adds extra sugar.
Caramel, Starbucks VIA Coffee
- As I mentioned I never add extra sugar to my coffee but do on occasion add flavored syrups, it makes me feel in the season!
- The Caramel flavor is not as sweet as you would think but has just enough smooth flavor to make this deliciously yummy.
- Definitely my favorite flavor from the Fall/Winter collection – 5 out of 5 stars!
Mocha, Starbucks VIA Coffee
- An excellent choice for your afternoon pick me up.
- The coffee taste/buzz did not feel as strong to me, instead I was satisfied with the deep mocha flavor, which is perfect for an afternoon drink as I do not want to have trouble sleeping at night!
- Starbucks describe this VIA flavor as “Mmmmmm” and I would have to agree.
- 4 out of 5 stars for my new favorite afternoon drink.
Vanilla, Starbucks VIA Coffee
- A strong bitterly sweet coffee which quickly hits the spot to wake you up.
- The arabica beans come out in full force when mixed with the vanilla in this instant coffee and the two beans get 3 out of 5 from me.
Cinnamon Spice, Starbucks VIA Coffee
- A strong coffee full of sweetness and a mix of spices.
- The taste buds definitely come alive when you sense the cinnamon, ginger, molasses and arabica beans in one cup.
- 3 out of 5 stars, the only reason it did not go up higher is my personal preference for less sugar.
Starbucks could not have made it easier, three simple steps or four if you want milk in your coffee – and did I mention the flavor taste sensation!
When do you like to enjoy your coffee?
Have a favorite flavor or a flavor you want Starbucks to make? Let me know by leaving a comment below…
Got a coffee buzz and want to play an old childhood game? Check out the Starbucks VIA card game online and get on the leader board – you might see my name on there!
To find your local Starbucks click here (we have at least 50 within San Francisco, California) or follow them on Twitter @Starbucks