Greetings Albuquerque – it’s time to give you ten more of Albuquerque The Magazine’s Best of the City awards. It’s fun to just wander through and pick out different categories so don’t expect any particular order. If you’re impatient, go ahead and pick up the Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011 issue of the magazine and you can see them all at once. Otherwise follow along and see what surprises are next in store. If you want to make sure you don’t miss anything be sure to subscribe to this column above. It cost you nothing and you can unsubscribe at any time if you lose interest. So, here goes with another top 10 of Albuquerque’s Best of the City.
1. Best Steakhouse – I have to admit that I haven’t eaten here yet, but now it’s on my list. Way up on northwest fourth street you’ll want to seek out Vernon’s Hidden Valley Steakhouse. I understand they have great steaks accompanied by smooth jazz and a fine wine list. What more could you want?
2. Best Coffee Fix – I’m not a coffee drinker but the “tall, iced caramel macchiato” sure sounds good to me. And, if you’re out walking your dog when you stop in for your fix, you might be surpised to find a doggie treat waiting. Check it all out at Satellite Coffee at one of nine locations.
3.Best Television Anchor – You can watch this hard working anchor 4 times every evening at KOB Eyewitness News 4. The name is Joles, Tom Joles that is.
4. Best Grocery Store – A favorite for me, especially since they opened the new store on Montgomery at Juan Tabo. Watch for their clever marketing gimic of offering overlapping sale prices on Wednesays – last week and this week prices all good on the same day! Now with three locations Sunflower Farmers Market has some great weekly bargains and lots of special events if you check their calendar in store or in their ads.
5. Best Pet Store – I have to leave this one strictly up to the voters since I can’t have a pet. No, I haven’t been charged with animal cruelty – I love critters, but as a travel writer I’m gone way too often and it wouldn’t be fair to lock some little guy up in a kennel everytime I leave town. The winner here is Long Leash on Life. But don’t forget the animal shelter if you’re looking for a new pet.
6. Best Toy Store – I thought I ought to throw this one in since it’s always time to buy toys, be it a holiday gift or a birthday gift or just a reward for being a super kid! Check out Out of the Blue, they’ve been around for 20 years so that’s a good sign.
7. Best Place for a Kid’s Birthday Party – You got the gift at Out of the Blue, now how about the party. If it’s going to be an active group you may want to burn up some of that excess energy by taking them all indoors, especially in lousy weather, to ABQ Jump. Let them climb, jump, slide and just go nutty to their heart’s content.
8. Best Place to Spend a Rainy Day – Some would say ANY day and I won’t disagree. Too much going on here to try to explain exactly what it is so please look at their website here: EXPLORA !
9. Best Guacamole – Another one I have to leave up to the readers since I’m simply not a guacamole fan. No, that’s not treasonous – you could only call me that if I said I wasn’t a chile fan – which I most definitely am! It seems that your best bet here is at El Pinto Restaurant that goes to great lengths to ensure that their avocados are delivered at the very height of perfection for their award-winning guacamole.
10. Best Dessert – How better to finish this top 10 list. Check out Flying Star Cafe at one of their nine locations for their chocolate cakes and lots of other goodies.
Suggestion: Print out this list and keep it in your car or stick it under a magnet on your refrigerator. And come back soon for more of Albuquerque’s best.