As all girls know, shoes make the woman. Each of us have our own style and we tend to gravitate towards trends that match our own sense of who we are and how we want to present ourselves. Because there are so many different styles that let you express yourself through your clothing and we all want to look our best, here is the start of a series of articles that will show you the cutest/sexiest/hottest/trendiest/most comfortable shoes (tailored for whichever category you fall into) for your look.
From the trendy girls to the emo chicks, from the prissy gals to the casually comfortable women, here you can find the season’s best look for you.
We’ll start with Shoes for the Casual Chick – or maybe for your lazy Sundays.
1. Uggs. Love them or hate them, they are the epitome of comfort during the winter months. As lucky as we are living in Houston during the winter, these boots are great for early mornings out or for those none too often days when we get a cold front. Tip: these are winter-only boots. The good news is that they come in a variety of styles to choose from. From their Plaid Knit (wear with solid colored leggings/pants please!) to their Classic Tall and Short. Fold them down, wear them up, pair them with jeans, skirts, leggings and tights – but please, leave the shorts in the drawers.
2. Converse. Yes, these have been around for years, and yes, they are often worn by the young. However, don’t dismiss these just because you used to wear one red and one yellow one back when you wore your hair teased five inches high. These are really cute and come in so many different colors you’ll be able to match them up with anything you own. You can also find these with prints (Dr. Seuss?) if you are so inclined, but the solid colors work best. My favorite look with my own Chuck Taylor’s are rock band tees (check out HipSoul.com for the best prices on tee shirts that will have people stop you on the street to ask where you got it) and blue jeans.
3. Ballet flats. Try these instead of your usual sneakers. These come in so many brands and styles you might just get overwhelmed trying to choose. Target’s Mossimo Cheetahs are ultra-cool and look great with black leggings and a tunic or a long tee. Mossimo also makes ballet flats in many solids including pewter, black, black patent, zebra or silver sequined and all other classic colors. At $12.99 and under they are a steal. You can throw on your favorite skinny jeans and tee with any one of these and you’ll not only be casual and comfortable, you’ll look hip and modern.
4. Topsiders. Also known as deck shoes or boat shoes, these have also been around a long time. They’ve come back with a vengeance. These are ultra-comfortable and they look best with your blue jeans. Can’t beat that. You can wear them in both summer and winter, paired with shorts or pants. They look great with anything that is considered classic, i.e. polos, khakis, sweaters. These also come in different colors and styles but neutrals work best and go with anything.
5. Clogs. I saved these for last because they are tricky, particularly the low-heeled variety. The good news is that clogs are known to be incredibly comfortable, especially if you’re a fan of the very popular Dansko versions. This is where it gets tricky: these shoes are often worn by nurses, doctors, retail workers – people who stand on their feet all day. Can you where them out and about and still look stylish? If you pair them with the right pants, you can do it. First, choose the style and color that you like; the options are endless in this regard, although a neutral color is your best bet. Wear them with jeans or pants that are long enough to cover the ankle, and forget about jeans that are tapered at the bottom. You’ll definitely want bootcut or straight leg jeans and keep that length on them. If Dansko isn’t your thing and you don’t mind a shoe bedecked with logos, check out these Coach clogs that might be more your style.
You can be comfortable and casual and still look great. Follow the tips and choices above and you’ll be styling your way into the new year.
Subscribe at the top of the page to get emails whenever a new article is posted. Keep watching for Shoes for the Trendy Girl and Shoes for the Edgy Girl coming soon!
What is your style? Are you a casual/comfortable girl or a trendy hipster that loves 5″ heels for everyday wear? Let me know which articles you’re looking forward to in the Shoes for You Series in the comments below!