There is an important difference between giving your employees positive feedback and giving them praise.
Positive feedback focuses on the specifics of job performance. Praise, often one-or two-sentence statements, such as “Keep up the good work,” without positive feedback leaves employees with empty feelings.
Worse yet, without positive feedback, employees feel no sense that they are appreciated as individual talents with specific desires to learn and grow on the job and in their careers, reports Nicholas Nigro, author of, The Everything Coaching and Mentoring Book.
So, skip the praise and give positive feedback that is more uplifting to your employees because it goes to the heart of their job performance and what they actually do.
An example of positive feedback is:
“Bob, your communications skills have dramatically improved over the past couple of months. The report that you just prepared for me was thorough and concise. I appreciate all the work you’ve put into it, as do your team members.”
Learn more techniques for becoming a more effective leader by attending any one of the following leadership courses offered by The Center for Business and Technology at Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, KS.
Most courses start in January and many are offered as online classes, as well. Courses range from $99 to $169. Registration is required. In-class courses typically happen from 8 a.m. to Noon on one day.
The lineup includes:
- Essentials of Leadership
- Getting Started as a New Leader
- Retaining Talent
- Coaching for Success
- Effective Supervisory Skills
- Coaching for Improvement
- Influential Leadership
- High Impact Feedback and Listening
- Resolving Conflict
- Delegating for Results
- Leading Change
- Motivating Others
- Building Winning Partnerships
- Closing the Generation Gap
- Managing Performance Problems
- Achieving Your Leadership Potential
- Adapting to Change
- Building Trust
- Building an Environment of Trust
- Contributing to Meeting Success
- Delegating for Productivity and Growth
- Developing Others
- Feedback Fundamentals
- Interaction Skills for Success
- Leading Virtually
- Reaching Group Agreement
- Reviewing Performance Progress
- Setting Performance Expectations
- Taking Charge of Your Development
- Working as a Team
- Working Through Conflict
- Achieving Success with Difficult People