Now that the midterm election is in the rear view mirror, we have time to take a breath and interpret the results. On the surface, it seems as if President Obama, as well as the media, still do not get it! As a typical American who is doing his best to raise a family and succeed in his career, I feel as though I have a pretty good understanding of what the election was all about.
1. The American people were sick and tired of being used to perpetuate the power struggle that is going on in Washington. We are tired of the politicians, from both sides of the aisle, trying to buy our votes with “stimulus” dollars, handouts and bribes. We were tired of being in the middle of a tug of war to see which party could generate more votes by shelling out the most free money (which they had to borrow!)We want our government to work and to treat it’s citizens like the educated people that they are. We can be bought no longer. Show us results or we will show you the door!
2. The American people were sick and tired of our government borrowing money so that we can live beyond our means. If Washington decides to spend money on a new government program, we expect them to cut the same amount of funds from the general budget. It’s a pretty simple concept that most of us learned in junior high economics classes! Just tell us the truth! If we can’t afford something, tell us! We are mature people and can handle the truth. It is, after all, the only thing that will give us hope!
3. The American people were sick and tired of politicians treating us as if we were too stupid to know what is best for the country. Our country was founded upon a set of principles that are pretty easy to understand; minimum government equals maximum freedom! We get it Washington, we get it!
4. The American people were sick and tired of our government being apologetic for America. We are the greatest country in the history of the world. We are the most charitable, the most entrepreneurial, the most compassionate and the most sincere nation in history. If other countries don’t like us, so be it! Our politicians represent United States citizens, not the rest of the world!
5. The American people were sick and tired of being sick and tired. The game has went on too long. We let our politicians get away with things much too long. That all changed, however, on November 2nd, 2010, when America spoke loud enough for all to hear. We said “You’re fired,” to those politicians who have betrayed the American citizens and who have saddled us with more debt than we can handle. No doubt, we will feel the effects of their incompetence for a long time to come, but we have finally turned the page.
November the 3rd, 2010, marked a point in history where the American people said enough is enough and decided to, once again, lead the rest of the world on a journey that will reshape humanity and spark the fire that is freedom. Fear not world, the American people are ready to lead again! We will be that beacon of light that will illuminate the path for generations to come! We will lead the way because we are Americans and we finally got our country back! We did not get it back by relying on government subsidies or by ordering those healthy apple dippers with our big macs as Michelle Obama has proposed. No, we got our country back by finally standing up for our principles that has made us the greatest nation on earth! We got it back by looking at our current state of government and saying, we can do better. We got it back by following the advice in the Declaration of Independence that says “whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it.” Abolish it we did not, but alter it? You saw the results!