This has been a tumultuous year for love and marriage. From Tiger Woods sensational divorce, John Edwards love child, Mel Gibson’s rants right down to Elizabeth Hurley Tweeting with a married man who was two-timing her.
80 – 90 % marriages are safe — infidelity is low, low, low!
In the complicated world of love and relationships, it is sad that marriage is becoming so entwined with infidelity — but only in sports and in Tinseltown. Despite the media hype of Internet infidelity national research scientists — working on a survey funded by the National Science Foundation — say infidelity has not increased in 20 years overall. It is less than 5% annually and under 20% over one’s lifetime.
The Top 10 list
It is difficult to know who takes top place — though in terms of staying in the headlines, it is Tiger Woods. There are a number of different lists out there but as as Examiner for two years writing and researching multiple stories on love, marriage, and infidelity — here is my list in alphabetical order
1. David Arquette, married to Courteney Cox, was tactless enough to tell Howard Stern that he was dancing with Jennifer Waltz in bed.
2. Billy Ray Cyrus is divorcing Tish who was rumored to be having an affair with Brett Michaels. The mess-maker in all of this appears to be none other than daughter, Miley.
3. John Edwards, whose affair with Rielle Hunter is said to have devastated his wife, Elizabeth, had a lovechild with his mistress. Elizabeth Edwards just succumbed to cancer. Despite the revenge stories, see my articles are her wanting us to see John as a loving dad, not an unfaithful spouse.
4, Jesse James. Within minutes of Sandra Bullock praising him for his support in her life as she accepted an Academy award, his affair with Bombshell McGee exploded in the news.
5. Mel Gibson had an affair with Oksana Grigorieva while separated from his wife of nearly 30 years. She filed for divorce and even stood by his side when life with his mistress turned ugly. The custody and legal battles are still continuing.
6. Elizabeth Hurley took comfort in her ex – Hugh Grant when news of her Twittering with another man became public. He turned out to be a two-timers and now she wants husband Arun Ryan back.
7. Larry King may be the surprise on the list. But after we learned that his wife was having an affair with their son’s baseball coach, it was revealed that he was having an affair with his wife’s sister. The two have mended fences.
8. Tony Parker was sexy texting a team mate’s wife and Eva Longorina filed for divorce. Then he counter-filed. What was that all about?
8. Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson claim they started in love and ended in love, but their marriage ended nonetheless. (The infidelity claim is that he and Blake Lively got lively.)
9. Charlie Sheehan went from abusive bad boy to naked man in hotel snorting cocaine with a prostitute. Charlie Sheen and Brooke Mueller are the parents of twin boys with a marriage on the rocks.
10. Tiger Woods has been plagued by his demons, infidelity resulting from sexual addiction. His wife divorced him and she is reportedly selling off the diamonds. He is struggling to regain his career, and she is rumored to be dating a fellow student. He was the top newsmaker starting with the infamous crash at Thanksgiving one year ago and continues almost daily to make the news.
Despite the negative aspects of his many affairs, he gave voice to the thousands who suffer from sexual addiction.
If infidelity is making a mess of your marriage. Get help. NEVER stoop to snoop!
If you find yourself in a marriage mess, please rise above the “catch that cheater” instinct, and read what the professionals have to say. See list of suggested readings.
For a catalog of articles on love, marriage, laughter, and a link to INFIDELITY FAST FACTS, please visit my website at Rita Watson – Love Columnist
Follow me on Twitter LoveColumnist
Copyright 2010 Rita Watson/ All Rights Reserved