Warm Winter Getaway to Palm Springs, California
Palm Springs, CA – Winter season is fast approaching, and the thought of frigid temperatures and gloomy weather, even here in San Francisco, will make any person want to escape to a sunny warm oasis. Visitors are lured to Palm Springs, California for its storied Hollywood legacy, Native American heritage, stunning desert landscapes, and extensive collection of mid-century modern architecture.
Palm Springs’ average winter temperatures from November to April are the high 80s to low 50s, which is ideal for travelers seeking a warm winter getaway. Travelers who want to make the most of the warm desert climate should sample some of these suggested activities:
- Climb aboard the world’s largest rotating tramcar at The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway to experience a breathtaking journey up to 8,516 feet to the Mount San Jacinto National Park.
- Palm Springs has the largest collection of mid-century modern architecture in the country – take a tour of the desert’s most notable architecture and stay in a retro boutique hotel.
- Walk scenic trails through the ancient palm groves in the Indian Canyons, the ancestral home to the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians.
- Take a docent tour of the Palm Springs Art Museum, or the Palm Springs Air Museum, home to the one of the world’s largest collection of World War II flying aircraft.
- Enjoy a round of golf at Palm Springs’ top courses, or indulge at one of the many spa resorts.
- Try your luck at a world-class downtown casino at the Spa Resort Casino.
- Catch a performance at the Palm Springs Fabulous Follies, a Broadway-caliber production celebrating the music and dance with a cast ranging in age from 55 to 86 years “young.”
- Take an off-road tour of Joshua Tree National Park or the San Andreas Fault.
Multi-Million Dollar Hotel Makeovers
The Hyatt Regency Suites Palm Springs finished it full-scale $15 million dollar transformation in January 2010, and a $20 million dollar conversion of the Wyndham Palm Springs into the Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel in December 2009. Other recent renovations include the legendary Riviera Resort & Spa, which re-opened after a $70 million rejuvenation, along with the trendy Ace Hotel and Swim Club. Both properties are attracting a new generation of hipsters who love the Palm Springs vibe.
Upcoming Signature Events
- Palm Springs International Film Festival: January 6-17, 2011 www.psfilmfest.org
- Bob Hope Classic: January 17-23, 2011 www.bhcc.com
- Tour de Palm Springs: February 11-12, 2011 www.tourdepalmsprings.com
- Modernism Week: February 18-27, 2011 www.modernismweek.com
- BNP Paribas Tennis Tournament: Dates: March 7-20, 2011 www.bnpparibasopen.com
- (LGBT) Dinah Shore Week: March 30 – April 4, 2011 www.thedinah.com / www.dinahshoreweekend.com
- (LGBT) Jeffrey Sanker’s White Party: April 8-11, 2011 www.jeffreysanker.com
- Coachella Valley Music Festival : April 15-17, 2011 www.coachella.com
- Stagecoach Country Music Festival: April 30-May 1, 2011 http://stagecoachfestival.com
Re travel: Palm Springs is located in Southern California and a short flight from San Francisco and San Francisco residents can fly from local airport SFO International. Deals can be found online at www.kayak.com
Visitor information: www.VisitPalmSprings.com or call 800-347-7746.