Join the Pro Wrestling Examiner Facebook Page for Updates and discussion
Wrestlemania may seem like it’s a million miles away with it going down in April 2011, but around this time of year the WWE machine gets rolling on putting together story lines, match-ups, and promotions for the biggest annual pro wrestling Pay Per View of the year.
We saw the internet buzz like a bee hive with the recent ‘confrontation’ between the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at UFC 121, and many fans and critics immedately speculating that it was a setup for a big money match at ‘Mania 27. In the weeks since the confrontation, the rumor of this match have cooled down. Many MMA fans may have been bothered by a pro wrestler accosting a main event fighter, Lesnar after his loss to Cain Valesquez, but kudos to WWE for creating some momentum and attract postive attention. WWE also got this Examiner thinking : What is WWE going to do for Wrestlemania 27?
In the months leading up to Mania 27, come back here to Pro Wrestling Examiner for latest news and analysis to find out what’s going down at ‘the grand daddy of ’em all’. To start this on-going series of artciles, we are going to look at the possible return of a huge name in pro wrestling for a huge match.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin
Every year the biggest rumors about ‘Mania revolve around WWE trying to lure mega-stars like “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and The Rock back into the ring for a high-profile match against one of the company’s current headliners.
Austin whose pushing a direct-to-DVD film and riding the box office success of the summer action hit “The Expendables”, could be a possibilty.
At ‘Mania 25 in Houston, Austin was enducted into the Hall of Fame and took a victory lap on an ATV in front of the sold-out crowd, but he did not get in the ring for a match. Many felt Austin suddly aknowledged he would not wrestle again when he proverbally “passed the torch” to John Cena by sharing a beer toast with him at the conclusion of his Hall of Fame speech.
But in a recent interview with UK’s Sun newspaper, Austin spoke about how he still loves wrestling, follows TNA and WWE, and imagines how great a fued with Hulk Hogan would be. The most key quote to take from the interview is below.
“I never thought I’d say it, but when I’m asked about one more match these days I do tend to say ‘never say never’.
“So don’t rule it out.”
- Read the whole interview: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/3164338/Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-would-consider-returning-to-wrestling-for-one-final-match.html#ixzz14LveppbW
- To also add to the possibilties of an Austin match at Wrestlemania 27, he is supposedly set to be the guest host of RAW in December. Read about that story here
So does this mean the Rattlesnake is back to tear the roof off the Georgia Dome?
Who knows. There is no more news about Austin wrestling at Wrestlemania 27 at this time. Still this Sun interview is enough to make any Stone Cold fan to water at the mouth with anticipation. If we in the wrestling world are so blessed to see Austin raise hell one more time, who does he get in the ring with for a match?
As this is just a fantasy in our collective wrestling minds, let’s take a cue from Marvel Comics, and handle some ‘What If’ match ups for Austin at Wrestlemania 27.
- C.M. Punk : The Straight Edge Superstar is currently dealing with a serious hip injury that will put on the shelf for three months, but he would be the ideal enemy for the beer-drinking rebel that is Austin. Punk with his ” i am straight edge, so I am better than you” mantra clashing in a promo with Austin’s unmatch trash talking would make a must-see segment on RAW. The match itself would be a hard-hitting brawl that would deliver the goods. It would be the most ideal young star to challenge Stone Cold.
- Randy Orotn : With Orton recently turning into a face whose considered an ‘anti-hero’, many are comparing to a modern day Austin. The match could easily be billed as “the Viper vs. the Rattlesnake” , Stone Cold Stunner vs RKO. Orton would have to revert to more his evil side and ‘the voices in his head’, as fans would overwhelmingly support Austin in this prospective feud. It would not do Orton any favors as one of WWE’s biggest stars to be on the losing end of a one-night only battle against Austin.
- John Cena All the 20 something dudes out there who despise Cena and the huge following of females and young he’s brought to the WWE, this would be an epic clash of generations. The energy for this match in the Georgia Dome would be equvilent to the through-the-roof electricity that fans gave to the Hogan vs. The Rock match at ‘Mania 18. This is the least likely of the prospective match ups.
Post your fantasy match-ups for Stone Cold Steve Austin below. Do you think he will come back for Wrestlemania 27? Let us all know in the comment box below.
This will not be the last article here on Pro Wrestling Examiner covering the build to Wrestlemania. So do yourself a favor, and subscribe to this blog and get instant updates on future articles in your e-mail inbox.
- Join the Pro Wrestling Examiner Facebook Page for Updates and discussion
- Follow Kev Kellam on Twitter @kevkellam
- Subscribe to this blog with future updates and cool surprises. Click ‘subscribe’ up top and get new articles in your e-mail inbox for free.
- Share this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter by using the easy-to-share links at the top of this page