Hot cocoa has always been a welcoming drink during the winter. Cocoa is usually made in the mornings in lieu of tea and coffee. Or, an afternoon drink after a long day spent in the cold. Children welcome this drink and love that chocolate flavor. Sometimes you wonder how they even taste the chocolate with all the extra milk and marshmallows that are added to cool the drink down.
This very simple recipe is designed especially for adults. But children will also like the change from the usual chocolate color and want to try a white chocolate hot cocoa drink too. To do this is simple. Cook only 2 of the three ingredients and it is now child proofed. And we are just in time for another food holiday. December thirteenth is National Cocoa Day!
- 3 1/2 cups of whole milk
- ¾ cup of white chocolate chips
- 6-8 tablespoons vanilla vodka
- In a medium sized saucepan add the milk and chocolate chips.
- Use a whisk to stir and mix the milk and chocolate together.
- Once the chocolate is melted and the milk is warm remove pan from stove.
- Add the vanilla vodka and stir.
- Pour immediately into mugs and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Additional hot chocolate toppings:
- Whipped topping
- Miniature marshmallows
- Small scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Add a little color contrast to the top of the glass or mug by adding a sprinkling of these.
- Colored sugar crystals
- Colored sprinkles
- A few small peppermints
- Ground cinnamon
- A cinnamon stick
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Eliminate the vanilla vodka when serving this cocktail to children.
- When serving both adults and children do not add the vanilla vodka into the sauce pan. Place two tablespoons of the vodka into the adult cups. Then pour in the hot white cocoa and hand mug or glass directly to each adult. Children are almost always served first so the separation is easy. Or just split the batch or make two batches. Use different colored pans so you know which one is spiked.
- Serve with cookies. A few good choices are butterballs, almond cookies, pinoli cookies or even biscotti.
- White hot cocoa makes a great morning drink without the alcohol. Terrific as an after dinner drink. A lovely drink that warms you up after a bout of snow shoveling. Can you think of a better way to thaw out those frozen fingers and toes? An inviting sweet treat for children to come home to and have waiting for them after their long walk home from school.
- Whenever pouring hot liquids into a cooler cup, mug and especially one made of glass always place a stainless steel spoon in first. Pour the liquid over the spoon. This will prevent the glass from breaking and also aid in eliminating burns from occurring to the one who is pouring or near the server. Remove spoon right away and serve your guests.
- Always drink responsibly and never drink and drive. Have a designated driver attend the party so everyone can have fun, a drink and still get home safely.
Copyright 2010 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Jackson residents can shop at any of these local grocery stores: Pick’n Save or Wal-mart for all the ingredients needed for this recipe.
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
You can also follow Beverly on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner
Healthy Living Examiner
Jackson Celebrity Examiner
Mobile Holidays Examiner