Holiday time is a busy time for Winona residents and everyone across the nation. Whether they are shopping for gifts at the local JC Penny or loading up a grocery cart at SuperValu. And, sneaking into the Toys R Us store to obtain those many presents and check them off their child’s list to Santa. All that hustle and bustle, sometimes we need to slow down and enjoy some down time.
Relaxing in front of a fireplace in the living room or den brings on a calm feeling. Just thinking of sinking into that favorite chair or sofa can bring on a sign of relief. Another mood relaxer is listening to music. Since the holidays are around the corner the radio is most likely playing carols. Some are serene and others will have your toe tapping to the beat.
Here is another way to relax in that easy chair and feel the warmth run through you as you calm down from your busy day. Prepare a cup of chocolate vanilla eggnog before taking the time to finally sit. This drink is a combination of rich flavors that are lightly sweetened with an aroma that will say you are finally going have some time to yourself.
Listen to the music, watch a favorite movie, play a board game with the kids, read that book that has been sitting on the table for so long or just enjoy the quiet while sipping your flavored cocoa. After one cup full you will wonder why this experience has escaped you for so long.
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of vanilla liqueur
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 whole nutmeg beans
- 6 ounces of chocolate
- In a medium saucepan simmer the cream, nutmeg and vanilla together.
- Heat until the contents of the sauce pan on simmer gets hot.
- Then add the chocolate. Break it up so that it melts easily.
- Make sure that you stir continually once the chocolate is added to the pan.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted remove pan from stove.
- Remove the nutmeg and vanilla pieces from the pan.
- Add the vanilla liqueur and stir so that its flavor spreads throughout the entire drink mixture.
- Pour into glass or ceramic mugs.
- Add some chocolate shavings on top and your ready to serve your guests.
- In lieu of whipping cream, whole milk or half and half can also be substituted.
- Vanilla extract can also replace the whole vanilla bean if one is not on hand.
- A fast sprinkling of cinnamon on top will also work and taste good.
- Add some whipped topping upon this drink for a creamier cool feeling when you start to sip it.
- Marshmallows can also be added on top if you like. They too will melt down into the cocoa and cool it a bit at the same time.
For e-mail alerts of new articles from the Winona Cooking Examiner, click on the subscribe button above. Included are her step-by-step, easy to follow recipes the whole family will enjoy. And be sure to check out Winona Home & Living Examiner for an array of fun, crafty and educational topics. Send an email to email@example.com if you have a topic or suggestion you would like covered. Happy reading and thank you for stopping by!
Copyright 2010 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved