November 20 — Is it your dream to take fielding practice with Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia? How about sitting up close and personal at the BoSox 2011 home opener at Fenway Park as the olde towne team takes on its arch rival, the New York Yankees? Perhaps you would like to throw out the first pitch from the mound at the lyrical bandbox.
All of this and more awaits the high bidders in the third annual David Ortiz Celebrity Golf Classic online auction to help needy kids. Big Papi’s auction is in conjunction with his December celebrity golf tournament at Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic.
Mind if we play through? Festivities kick off December 2, with the golf tourney December 5 on the Jack Nicklaus-designed Punta Espada Course. Ortiz will tee off with teammates Pedroia, Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, and manager Terry Francona.
Actor Jeffrey Donovan, star of the popular “Burn Notice” TV series, will lug his low handicap to the tee, as will a host of other celebrities and sports stars. Donovan, by the way, can handle a 9-iron as well as his character, Michael Weston, can employ an assault rifle. The pride of Amesbury, Mass., won last year’s Pebble Beach celebrity challenge, and his team placed third at last year’s Cap Cana event.
Helping kids. Boston golfers without the cache to tee it up with Big Papi at what has to be one of the most spectacular golf resorts in the world can still help ailing children get the medical care they need. The David Ortiz Children’s Fund provides aid to kids in New England and the Dominican who have no access to critical pediatric services.
Now through December 3 you may click bid on a slew of high-end items such as:
- Dominican getaway –You and three of your friends (you are very popular person!) can win a five-night stay at the Sanctuary Cap Cana and play two rounds of golf on the Punta Espada course.
- Red Sox home opener tickets – You and your best friend will watch from premium seats at Fenway as the Sox take on the hated Yankees in the 2011 season opener.
- Monster seats — You and perhaps your other best friend will watch the Sox from box seats atop the Green Monster.
- Spring training – You and a very close buddy will fly JetBlue to Florida to see the Red Sox in two spring training games.
- First pitch at Fenway – Start your spring training now so you can toss some high cheese with hair (just ask The Eck what that means) across home plate. None of that bouncing the ball to the catcher nonsense. You and those three friends of yours will also cadge four tickets to the game.
- Down and dirty with Dustin — Get ready to throw some leather around with Pedroia, 2007 Rookie of the Year and ’08 MVP. You’ll get a 30-minute fielding lesson and two tickets to a Sox game.
And those are only a few of the deluxe items you may win as you help underprivileged children. So, what are you waiting for? Click here to start the bidding, which ends December 3.
It may be hot and sunny in the Dominican, but winter’s around the corner in New England and that’s not good news for the Boston Celtics’ Ray Allen. Read how Allen’s mother would really like someone to build a heated golf course in Boston so the Celts’ superstar can stay relaxed off the court.