Filed Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010 at 11:31p.m.
By Khalidah Tunkara
Prince Frederick von Anhalt, the 66-year-old husband of Hungarian-American actress Zsa Zsa Gabor was taken to the hospital Tuesday when he somehow managed to mistake nail glue for eye drops and pasted his eyes shut with them.
The little bottles do look very much alike, so who could blame him? The nail glue belonged to his wife, and was near where he normally kept his eyedrops. Atlanta resident, Atlante’ Walton, appeared amazed that someone would mistake the two bottles. “That is extremely frightening. People need to learn how to use correct labels”, quipped Alante’.
Known as the Prince, Anhalt received treatment to get his eye loose at the Beverly Hills clinic and is reportedly in good spirits with no lasting damage to his eyes. Anhalt is known for odd occurrences. Only a few weeks ago he was at the hospital because he ingested a bee. He drew controversy when he announced his wishes to immotalize his wife, Zsa Zsa Gabor, upon her death, by overlaying her body in plastic and placing her on display for the world to see her beauty.
Although he calls himself Prince, he has no real royalty in his bloodlines, but was instead adopted as an adult by German princess, Princess Marie-Auguste. The adoption was explained in more than one fashion, with one version saying she did it because she was a friend of her son and she did it out of kindness, and another saying she did it for money because she was bankrupt. He is not considered part of the royal lineage line, but instead uses it as a surname.
He’s also not unknown to the local authorities, as three years ago he was found unclothed in his own car and told them he had been attacked by three women, robbed and left that way in handcuffs. (Funny, no handcuffs in sight, according to the police report).
In another wild exclamation, the German socialite claimed he could have been the father of Anna Nicole Smith’s daughter, but that was later disproved when DNA showed the father was Larry Birkhead. He actually did have an affair with Anna Nicole Smith in 2007, which Gabor was furious about, but ended up forgiving him.
Anhalt also put in a brief bid for governor of California, but took his name out of the running due to Zsa Zsa’s health issues.
Gabor herself hasn’t been in the greatest of shape either. The 93-year-old famous movie star has had several hospitalizations over the past few weeks. Over the past 8 years she has been through a lot: a serious car accident in 2002 that put her in a wheelchair, a stroke in 2005, surgery in 2007 for complications of that stroke, and blood clots that nearly killed her earlier this year, and a recent fall that required hip replacement surgery and caused further complications.
Anhalt is husband number nine for the former star. The couple married August 14, 1986 and it has been her longest marriage on record. Anhalt says they started out just as friends, but have grown to love each other. Her marriage to Anhalt also gives her the title Princess von Anhalt, Duchess of Saxony, though it carries no claim to fame for the royal line any more than his does.
Gabor is famous for her short lived previous marriages, with a list of hubbies that includes Burhan Belge in 1937(who she divorced in 1941 and he died in 1967), Conrad Nicholson Hilton the following year (who she divorced in 1947 after they had one child. He died in 1976), George Sanders in 1949 (they divorced in 1954, but he later married Zsa Zsa’s sister and that marriage lasted a year) Herbert Hunter in 1962 (divorced in 1966), Joshua Cosden, Jr. in 1966 (promptly divorced him not quite a year later), Jack Patrick Ryan in 1975, and again divorced him the following year, Michael John O’Hara (her divorce attorney) in 1976 (divorced in 1982), and Count Felipe de Alba (annulled when discovered divorce from O’Hara not final.
For reprints and info requests, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe for convenient news delivered directly to your email.
1. Stritof, Shin, and Sheri Stritof. “Zsa Zsa Gabor and Frederic Prinz Von Anhalt Marriage Profile.” Marriage — THE Starting Place for Exploring Marriage and Marriage Issues. Web. 22 Dec. 2010. <http://marriage.about.com/od/entertainmen1/a/zsazsagabor.htm>.
2. “He Did What? Zsa Zsa Gabors Hubby Glues Eye Closed!” 21 Dec. 2010. Web. 21 Dec. 2010. <http://celebrifi.com/gossip/He-did-what-Zsa-Zsa-Gabors-hubby-glues-eye-c….
3. France-Presse, By Agence. “Zsa Zsa Gabor’s Prince Glues Own Eye Shut – Latest News around the World and Developments Close to Home – MSN Malaysia News.” Breaking Malaysia, World, and Entertainment Headlines on MSN Malaysia News. 22 Dec. 2010. Web. 22 Dec. 2010. <http://news.malaysia.msn.com/top-stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4536….
4. Tagecho, By. “Zsa Zsa Gabor S Husband Glues Eye Shut – Prince Frederick Von Anhalt – Zimbio.” Zimbio – Interactive Magazine. Web. 22 Dec. 2010. <http://www.zimbio.com/Prince Frederick von Anhalt/articles/MuVcgoRZdOA/Zsa Zsa Gabor Husband Glues Eye Shut>.
5. “Frédéric Prinz Von Anhalt.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 22 Dec. 2010. Web. 22 Dec. 2010. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Frederic_von_Anhalt>.